Sleep Hygiene Rules
1. Do not go to bed until you are sleepy.
2. Only use your bed for sleeping
3. Go to bed at the same time every night, and wake at the same time
every day, including weekends.
4. If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up and do something
boring until you feel sleepy.
5. Do not take naps.
6. Do not drink or eat anything with caffeine (soda, tea, coffee,
7. Do not smoke within several hours prior to your bedtime.
8. Exercise regularly. The best time is in the late afternoon. Avoid
strenuous physical exertion after 6 pm.
9. Use common sense to make your sleep environment most conducive
to sleep. Arrange for a comfortable temperature and minimum levels
of sound, light and noise.
10. If you are accustomed to it, have a light carbohydrate snack before
bedtime (eg., crackers, graham crackers, milk or cheese). Do not
eat chocolate or large amounts of sugar. Avoid excessive foods.
If you awaken in the middle of the night, do not have a snack then
or you may find that you begin to wake up habitually at the time
11. It is important to give your body cues that it is time to slow down and
sleep. Listen to relaxing music, read something soothing for 15
minutes, have a cup of caffeine free tea, do relaxation exercises.